The International Safe Transit Association, or ISTA, is an organization that creates standards for packaging design to ensure the safe arrival of the package’s contents. ISTA package testing is a series of controlled laboratory procedures that simulate the rigors of transportation. These tests mimic real-world conditions, including vibrations, drops, compression, and various environmental factors, to ensure that packaging can withstand the stresses of shipping and handling. By subjecting packaging to these simulations, manufacturers can identify weaknesses and make necessary improvements before products hit the market.
All three of DDL’s testing locations are ISTA certified and provide expert testing and guidance on the package validation process. DDL is able to perform the following ISTA testing standards.
ISTA 1 Series: Non-Simulation Integrity Performance Tests
- ISTA 1A Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- ISTA 1B Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg)
- ISTA 1C Extended Testing for Individual Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less
- ISTA 1D Extended Testing for Individual Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg)
- ISTA 1E Unitized Loads
- ISTA 1G Packaged-Products weighing 150 lb (68 kg) or Less (Random Vibration)
- ISTA 1H Packaged-Products weighing Over 150 lb (68 kg) (Random Vibration)
ISTA 2 Series 2: Partial Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 2A Packaged-Products weighing 150 pounds (68kg) or less
- ISTA 2B Packaged-Products weighing over 150 pounds (68kg)
- ISTA 2C Furniture Packaging
ISTA 3 Series: General Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 3A Packaged-Products less than 150 pounds (68kg) for Parcel Delivery Shipments
- ISTA 3B Packaged-Products for less-than-truckload shipments (LTL)
- ISTA 3E Package Products in unitized loads for full truckload shipments. (FTL)
- ISTA 3F Packaged Products for Distribution Center to Retail Outlet Shipment 100 lb (45 kg)
- ISTA 3H Performance Test for Products or Packaged-Products in Mechanically Handled Bulk Transport Containers
- ISTA 3K Fast moving consumer goods for the European Retail Supply Chain
ISTA 4 Series: Enhanced Simulation Performance Tests
- ISTA 4AB Enhanced Simulator Performance Test
ISTA 6 Series: Member Performance Tests
- ISTA 6 SAMSCLUB Packaged Products for Sam’s Club Distribution System Shipment
- ISTA 6 Amazon.com SIOC, Ships in Own Container (SIOC) for Amazon.com Distribution System Shipment A-H
- ISTA 6 FedEx-A FedEx Procedures for Testing Packaged Products Weighing Up to 150 lbs
- ISTA 6 FedEx-B FedEx Procedures for Testing Packaged Products Weighing Over 150 lbs.
ISTA 7 Series: Development Tests
- ISTA 7D Temperature Test for Transport Packaging
- ISTA 7E Thermal Transport Packaging
Contact Us for more information or to talk to an engineer.