Packages and the products they protect can be exposed to complex dynamic stresses during transportation as well as other events and environments. Vibration testing controls the input of these stresses and is used to determine the package’s ability to function and protect in real world conditions. Our engineers perform product and package vibration testing to simulate various environments, evaluating packaging and product robustness.
We are able to test products using simulations of various modes of transport such as truck, rail and air. Vibration testing by exposure to sine sweeps carried out across a range of frequencies can be used to determine resonant frequencies of the product and its components; stress testing can then be performed by dwelling at those resonant frequencies for extended periods.
During package vibration testing, accelerometers can be mounted on critical components of the product. The test specimen is then vibrated according to the applicable standard or protocol. Instrumenting the product within the packaging can indicate the degree of dampening provided by the packaging.
Our engineers perform many custom tests and protocols for vibration testing as well as industry standard test methods from ASTM, ISTA and MIL-STD.
Common Test Standards for Product Vibration Testing
- ASTM D999 Standard Test Methods for Vibration Testing of Shipping Containers
- ASTM D3580 Vibration (vertical sinusoidal motion) test of products
- IEC 60721-3-7 Classification of environmental conditions – Part 3 – 7: Classification of groups of environmental parameters and their severities – Portable and non-stationary use
- IEC 60068-2-6 Environmental testing – Part 2 – 6: Tests – Test Fc: Vibration (Sinusoidal)
- IEC 60068-2-64 Environmental testing – Part 2 – 64: Tests – Test Fh: Vibration, broadband random and guidance
- ISO 11608-1 Needle-based injection systems for medical use – Requirements and test methods (Sine sweep testing)
- ISO 11608-4 Needle-based injection system for medical use – Requirements and test methods (Sine sweep testing and Random vibration testing)
- MIL-STD 810 Department of Defense Test Method Standard, Environmental Engineering Considerations and Laboratory Tests
Contact us for more information or to talk to an engineer.